Wednesday, November 25, 2009

day and night



Days can be blinding in Madrid. The sun shines down brightly here in this high-altitude city, and my squinting is beginning to be a problem.
In contrast, the nights are dark, but illuminated. People buzz on the streets. In my neighborhood, the old people who measure to my waist walk hand in hand with their canes on either side to support them. I think to myself, "I want to hit the town with my love when I'm 80." Again, another way in which I think Spaniards do it right.
I think I might start recording a "Wow, Spain" moment of the day. This moment will reflect cultural differences that I find in day to day life that often make me either chuckle or gasp.
"Wow, Spain" moment of the day today? My co-workers shirt read "Slap it hard, the way I like it."
Now, I've never worked in an elementary school in the states, but I'm guessing that shirt would not be permitted. Another way in which Spain and the States are like Night and Day.

2 comments:

Chuval said...

hahahahahahaha

Lauren Madison said...

WOW! What a shirt... haha. One of the many things I loved about Italy, particularly Florece, were all the elderly couples- walking hand in hand or linking arms and walking the streets with their loves... awwwww :)