Friday, October 30, 2009

The world is our classroom

Today, I faced Madrid with new inspiration.

Last night, over a cup of coffee with my friend Blanca, I was absolutely inspired. Blanca said, "Sarah, the world is your classroom! You want to learn spanish? You have a million teachers! Talk with your neighbor, ask your baker how his children are doing, say hello to the fruit-store man."

Yes, of course! What had I been waiting for?

Today, I went to the post-office to pick up the package my mom had sent me from the States (which made my whole week, by the way!), and instead of trying to conceal the fact that I was a foreigner, I struck up a conversation with the man behind me. As soon as he found out I was American, he wanted to tell me everything he could about Spain. I learned a new phrase southerners like to say about their beloved land, "Nunca al norte, Siempre al Sur" (never go north, always go south). It made the 45 minute line at the post office go by a lot quicker...yes 45 minutes...the place is a zoo!

With all these new-found teachers, I'll be bilingual in no time!

2 comments:

Lauren Madison said...

girl, you ALREADY ARE bi-lingual :) I love you and hope you are embracing every opportunity you get to make your Spanish perfect!

Rebecca Win said...

don't know how i feel about that phrase.... ;)